Information on:

Lewis County Historical Museum

599 NorthWest Front Way
360-748-0831

The Museum is also the starting point for the Historic Chehalis Downtown Walking Tour. You can pick up a free copy here at the Museum or online at Historical Walking Tour Guide.

This Mission Revival style building was built in 1912 as the principal passenger and freight station for the Northern Pacific Railroad. The site on which the depot is located achieved historical significance long ago. In anticipation of a reception for President McKinley, a giant stump, cut from a tree logged near Pe Ell, Washington, was placed at the site, and was to serve as a speaker’s platform for the President who ultimately did not make the visit. However, on May 23, 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt delivered a speech from this now famous podium. In 1908, presidential nominee, Eugene Debs, a Socialist, spoke from the stump. Later, although not yet President, William Howard Taft also spoke from the stump, as did vice presidential nominee, Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1920, who would later become president.



Lewis County Historical Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media

Photos